Friday, August 31, 2007

Standing Alone in a Field of Defeated Principles

It's a light day while I decompress from a long week and get ready for a three day weekend. The problem with most blogs I've tried (and failed) to start in the past was a lack of consistency, so it's not that I'm forcing this post in, but it will be my only one today.

Andrew Sullivan has been off getting hitched lately, and congratulations to him for it. In his stead, he has a crop of guest bloggers keeping his content updated. While I feel the same way about his guests as I do about him (respect their opinions, but don't always agree), his new found ability to rise above the muddy fray of partisan politics and find equal ground between both liberal social ideals and fiscal conservatism was missing these past days....

Until today. Steve Clemons posts this piece regarding the recapturing of the American soul after the demise of neo-conservative principles. While I think it's a bit early to be thinking we're in the clear of that mess of ideology, it's telling that conservatives en masse are now beginning the process of remembering what this whole thing is about in the first place.

Now I could stand up and demand my piece of the large public mea-culpa every righty to some degree owes the country. I'm not going to do that though. In the tradition of opposing battlefield generals treating each other with dignity and respect at the point of surrender, I merely extend my hand in brotherhood as a fellow American, and say: "Welcome back. There's alot of work to be done, so where do we go from here?"

No comments: