Tuesday, October 7, 2008

T-Minus 90 Minutes

As I ready my Hitchens-Style debate kit, I just got off of a long phone call with my parents. These were die-hard Clinton supporters, of both Bill and Hillary. After she lost the primary, both were committed to voting for McCain. It wasn't a race issue for them. They honestly believed in the narrative of John McCain and in his experience. Now, however, they have become not just Obama voters, but vocal supporters. The pick of Palin, his media stunts, the constant drama, and his nasty tone have turned them off.

During the Bush elections, it was hard for me to imagine who a swing voter actually was. Who could be undecided between Bush and, well, anyone else. But this election has been less clear. These nameless faceless people who have yet to make up their mind, who are likely voters, who are constantly wooed by both sides, who exactly are they? But here are two voters, whom I know personally, that in this election were in that category. And McCain just lost them.
It's easy to dismiss, after all, they are just two voters. Polls show though that nationwide, one by one, two by two, people are making up their minds. And they are making the choice for true change.

This is an important moment for me, when the numbers become personal. I'm happy they've made this choice. Happy that others like them are doing the same. Confident that we can do this thing.

Yes. We can.

1 comment:

gina said...

Woo-hoo! Yes, I had a similar moment when my parents (who voted W in 200) committed to vote for Kerry in 2004. They are also Obama supporters.